Saturday, May 30, 2009

Windy & Carl

So, last night I drove up to LA with two friends (Brandon and Melissa) to see Windy & Carl at a venue I had never been to. The venue was called Synchronicity. It was a gallery space. Very small. I liked it. When I arrived I ran into Ned Ragget (who's photos I jacked for this posting cause my phone takes horrid photographs) and Windy Webber. We chatted through the first band and had a lovely time out front. Then Brandon, Melissa, and I went in to watch a band called Nudge, who I had never heard of. Their set was fantastic. Mostly instrumental drone stuff with synth, electronic drums (used pretty minimally) and guitar. A lot of the patterns that emerged really reminded me of the earlier works of Philip Glass and/or Steve Reich (in different ways). What I most loved about them was how they had all this sound going and manipulated the whole wall of it in varying ways, deconstructing it with stutters, slow downs, stops and starts. It was great. Next up was White Rainbow, who unknown to me has a ton of associations with other acts that I was familiar with. His set was really great as well. It sounded like he was using one of those Boss slicer pedals or perhaps one of the Linn guitar boxes that do rhythmic stuff, he was very good at what he did. After his set I bought a limited edition tour 12" Windy and Carl were selling, as well as a tour EP by Nudge. Windy and Carl's set started with a few shorter, for them, pieces with vocals. They were nice and set the mood perfectly for the epic bliss out drones that came in waves at us over the next....what had to have been over an hour. At varying points I almost fell asleep, or closed my eyes and just felt the music, or watched enthralled by the pulsating wall of sound and the beautiful photographs being projected with the set (courtesy of Christy Romanick, who if you have not seen her photos....you really have to). It was a fantastic time and I highly recommend seeing them live to anyone, it is great. I only wish I could have gone tot he show in Big Sur (outdoors in the redwoods, people brought sleeping bags and just lay down on the grass to their set). Black moth Super Rainbow is playing tonight and I'll likely post a brief play by play of that as well. Till next time.....

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you guys had fun! Big Sur is one of my favorite places in California, I don't doubt that an outdoor show there be amazing. What a drive, though!

    ReplyDelete